We have just finished reading Paulo Coelho’s latest work, Manuscript Found In Accra (you can read our review here). For those who know not – and who have not read our review (yes, we are plugging it shamelessly) – the book is all about conversations between a learned man known as the Copt and the residents of the city of Accra before it was attacked by Crusaders in 1099. And as in most Paulo Coelho books, it comes laden with statements that you would love to quote. We have cherry-picked ten of the best – spoken by the Copt in the book – for you to read. And share, if you so wish.
- “The defeated are those who never fail. Defeat means that we lose a particular battle or war. Failure does not allow us to go on fighting. Defeat comes when we fail to get something we very much want. Failure does not allow us to dream. Its motto is: ‘Expect nothing and you won’t be disappointed.’ “
- “Solitude is not the absence of company, but the moment when our soul is free to speak to us and help us decide what to do with our life…If you are never alone, you cannot know yourself.”
- “Don’t try to be useful. Try to be yourself: that is enough, and that makes all the difference.”
- “To those who believe that adventures are dangerous I say, Try routine: that kills you far more quickly.”
- “Love is an act of faith in another person, not an act of surrender. Do not seek to be loved at any price, because Love has no price.”
- “It is the imperfect that astonishes and attracts us. When we look at a Cedar tree, we don’t think: ‘The branches should be all the same length.’ We think: ‘How strong it is.’”
- “The most destructive of weapons is not the spear or the siege cannon, which can wound a body or demolish a wall. The most terrible of all weapons is the word, which can ruin a life without leaving a trace of blood, and whose wounds never heal.”
- “What is success? It is being able to go to bed each night with your soul at peace.”
- “Do not fight in order to prove that you are right or to impose your ideas or ideals on someone else. Only accept the fight as a way of keeping your spirit clean and your will spotless. “
- “Love is only a word, until someone arrives to give it meaning.”
And those are only the tip of the quotation iceberg that we think Manuscript Found in Accra is. Worth a read.